[450] W1QEX Mobile goes to Queens

John Foege john.foege at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 05:35:23 UTC 2014

I whole-heartedly agree that over long-haul distances that a mobile
horizontally polarized loop is far superior to a vertical whip.

With an HO-Loop it is foreseeable that on a mode like SSB, I could have had
relatively OK comm capability for the entire drive from Waterbury to
Queens...whereas on the vertical, it went bye bye right around exit 38 on
the Merritt.

Too bad. But, I'd like to correct Bob's statement: It isn't ignorance.
We've known on 450 for years that mobiles with HO loops significantly
outperform vertical whips. It has more to do with vanity, apathy, laziness,
etc.

I don't make a long-haul drive often enough to warrant the needless
complexity of installing and maintaining a loop on my car. A 5/8th wave
from Larsen on an NMO mount is pure simplicity and about the easiest thing
next to tying your shoes and chewing a stick of bubblegum.

If I were commuting back and forth in the Tri-State area often, I would
consider a loop. As it is, everyone can hear me mobile in my main area of
operation. (Read: Waterbury)

John