[450] W1QEX Mobile goes to Queens

George Andrews gandrews at ntplx.net
Sat Nov 15 13:55:36 UTC 2014

104 miles on 2 M FM VA/WVA  to PA with 50 W and loop. Guys on the other side were horizontal and about 180 W.

Also talked with Bob from when he was in Waterbury well into NH. Bob had an amp and I think an array at the time.

I had a p/u truck and had a dual band vertical and the loop connected to an A/B switch and did a lot of evaluation on simplex. The superiority of the loop over the vertical whip is not necessarily limited to the long hall. There were many times that horizontal was superior to vertical in state and at short distance. I had a lot of fun using the loop on 2 M simplex.

We did a lot of experimenting with height off the bumper/bed and orientation of the loop (where was the feed point located with respect to the receiving station. I even tried stacking loops, but the wind load was too much on the mast. I gave up on that as it would take a more rugged mast system than I wanted to deal with. I was mostly mobile, so am running on memory. I think Bob kept a good log of all that and can have better recall than I.

Have not put the loop on the current truck as I am not finding simplex activity up here. Based on repeater contact, it appears that topography greatly limits 2 M. Based on limited evaluation, 1.25 M may actually perform better at this location. Again, there is limited simplex activity 10 M and up at this location.

George