[450] Emily

Leslie Busino partybug at charter.net
Sat Jun 4 14:43:26 EDT 2011

George,

I am having to force her right now.  She has not gone to the litter box at
all.  She has no real favorites as long as it is wet food Fancy Feast
Classic.  She sticks in the turkey and giblet and chicken and beef.  No
fish.  She tends to get sick everytime she gets her teeth into something
that might have fish in it.  So, I decided long ago that she must have an
aversion to it.

The diabetes reared up in March but likely began around Christmas time.  I
think you already know this part...?  Anyway, what is happening is her liver
is enlarged a tad, her pancreas is effecting the upper organs.  She is so
tired and I think may be in Ketoacidosis.  I am not pleased with the forcing
at all.  She is in so much trouble right now with the diabetes.  Her numbers
were 189 on Tuesday night, but 361 on Wednesday morning at the vet.
Yesterday we calibrated our BG meters together and mine is only off by about
15 ish or less.  Yesterday at 4:30 p.m. she was reading a beaut of 171.
This morning after insulin, 250, which translates to more like 260+ on the
docs metering.  She more than tolerates the shots.  She doesn't even flinch.
She has been getting the BG tests for a few months now.  Luckily I was a
quick study and got it on the first try with her so there was no
frustration.  Quick and simple there.

Did your Sammy Cattus get this ill ever?  Pancreas involved etc?  Em's
kidneys are fine.  No damage, so I am not sure how to deal with this.  Her
balance is way off and that is just one of the signs of ketoacidosis.  She
jumped off the counter to the table and wobbled big time when landing.  Same
when she went for the floor.  How long was Sammy Cattus downed with the lack
of food and water etc...when he was very ill?   I want to save her so very
much.  It is just so difficult to watch and wait after all this time.  She
is just so obstinate too.  Diet changes are not an issue for her.  She
doesn't miss anything.  So with her liking the food she had and has, her
disinterest in eating is truly genuine.  She won't even sniff.

Guidance from someone with a kitty who is a diabetic is huge!!  Thank you
George.

Leslie