[450] Emily

George Andrews gandrews at ntplx.net
Sat Jun 4 20:19:53 EDT 2011

Leslie,

Sammy cattus survived so many things, including a spinal cord stroke. He did
get so sick that he was barely mobile. Some cats do not like fish. I would
still try the water from tuna and water, no salt, no oil. See if she will
drink it. Another thing to try is some diced chicken that you have for a
meal, no spices , no salt. From what youy have told me, I can't suggest much
else in terms of food.

I have found that there is a very wide range of "standard of care" with
vets. We had emergencies with Sammy and were told on one occasion that we
needed to think about how far we wanted to go with this. This particular vet
suggested putting him down. They could not tell me what was wrong with him!
Needless to say, I did not listen. Some will provide care, but nothing
aggressive. Them there are those who will actively work with you to do
whatever can be done to keep Emily healthy. Do you have a dose vs. blood
sugar level you work from? Do you report this to your vet and does he/she
periodically adjust it? This is one standard of care I would expect (advice
is by phone so there is no charge). Has there been any imaging of
pancreas/liver to see what is happening there?

We have always taken our cats to cats only vets for the most part. The one
time we did not do this and Sammy required a several night stay, he did not
do well. About the only way I can describe it is depressed. He never liked
to be away from us, but it was worse if he had to stay with dogs around.

Another thought, do you have plants in the house? We have gotten rid of all
plants toxic to cats. It took us two times to understand some plants are
simply not compatible with cats. Twice our cats got so sick, we thought they
would not live. Anything else she might have gotten into? The vet probably
already mentioned this.

As for humans, sometimes a second or third opinion is good. Towards the end
we did this for Sammy. It may seem like a lot of trouble and expense to do
this, but I could not do anything else for him. If you want some names of
vets, let me know.

George