[450] Emily

George Andrews gandrews at ntplx.net
Fri Jun 3 22:06:56 EDT 2011

Leslie,

Sorry to hear about Emily. I will keep her in prayer and for you all.

When Sammy Cattus got sick, we tried all kinds of stuff to get him to eat.
One thing that worked for him was a start with the water from Tuna fish.
Once we got him drinking, we added a very tiny amount of Tuna (thoroughly
mashed). Once he began eating it, we increased the thickness of the slurry.
We then began adding his regular cat food, increasing the percentage of cat
food until he was back to normal eating. Tuna is not good on a long term
basis as it lacks taurine. This worked for Sammy Cattus. What are Emily's
favorite foods? try to see if she will eat them.

How are her blood sugars running? In conjunction with our vet, we worked out
an insulin dose schedule for him that was determined by his blood sugar
level. It really kept his diabetes in control. He was a big cat (20 lbs and
rippling lean)and I thought I was going to get torn up between the ear
pricks and insulin injections! He quickly adjusted to the regimen and did
not even flinch when I gave him the injection. Of course he was eating when
I did that.  It all revolved around dinner time so he would tolerate it all
because of that. Nothing mattered much because he knew dinner was coming and
often a couple of treats for dessert.

George