[450] Microphone painting project.

George Andrews gandrews at ntplx.net
Fri Nov 27 15:41:00 UTC 2015

William,

Use caution with acetone as a cleaning agent. Some plastics are very soluble in acetone. In fact acetone is used as an agent for bonding polystyrene for making shields in laboratories. Rem Oil found in gun shops and the sporting goods section of WalMart and the like is good. I use a citrus based degreaser (for cleaning bicycle parts) as it has never damaged any plastics (try it in a place where any harm will not be visible first). This stuff even removes tobacco smoke residue and leaves a citrus odor behind which fades after a while. Do not use around high voltage. 70% isopropyl alcohol will work. Ethanol is also good if you can get aviation grade. One can always get 190 proof alcohol from the package store, but it is a bit pricey.

George
N1YAE