[450] echolink users

George Andrews gandrews at ntplx.net
Wed Nov 4 00:08:20 UTC 2015

Bob,

I am only pickin' on you! I tried one of the two (Echo Link or IRLP). Did
not like using it as it exposed ports on the computer that I don't want to
leave open. It has been a long time ago and perhaps such security issues are
no longer a concern. However, each to his own. I can see the utility for the
"gatekeeper of 450". And I do not mean anything negative by the term
"gatekeeper".

I am tinkering with DMR because part of it is RF to RF. Voice goes through
an ADC prior to xmission and on receive goes through a DAC. I am getting 40
+ miles range with an HT(5W)/rubber duck. None of that part  happens through
the net. The receiver has a noise floor of -130dBm and signals of -126 dBm
can be reliably received. That won't happen with analog signals. Once the
signal arrives at the repeater, it goes over the net to as little as two
repeaters (EX. Repeater in South Africa and repeater in NH) or it can go out
to world wide linked repeaters. If one wanted to keep it all rf, a microwave
backbone or satellites could be used as the link rather than the net.

Anyway, something new to learn and experiment with. It would be interesting
to see how far one could go with two digital transceivers (simplex of
course) with 150 W and a large horizontally polarized antenna and compare to
analog signals.

Best wishes to the gatekeeper and to John for providing a tool for folks to
use!

George

N1YAE