[450] AND FURTHER......

Bob n1ujs at toast.net
Sat Feb 11 03:57:09 EST 2012

The question was asked (in a sneery fashion)"What is Bob's infatuation with
this 979 guy?"

If you had been paying attention, this should be obvious.
First, the guy loves radio and utilizes it.  He's intelligent , polite, and
well spoken.
He commands a following of at least 100 radio-heads (maybe even 200+), all
interested in ground wave communications and radio in general.  Of these
followers, many have tickets, are in the process of getting tickets, or
have jst upgraded their tickets.  All are new to ham radio and have yet to
find a niche.  What better opportunity to teach them how to have fun with
it and guide them away from repeaters and toward simplex and beyond.
Again, for THOSE OF YOU HUNG UP ON LICENSE CLASS, one of these guys, Pete
from Pearl River, went from no license to Extra in just a few weeks.
Now the way I see it, these are all potential 450 folk, and this "DX Tour"
is far more likely to include ham bands if all the followers are already
recruited, set up, and running on multiple bands.
As you all know, I take it upon myself to keep the hobby alive, and
specifically the 450/simplex part of it.  I have always recruited and
attempted to inspire.

That all being said..........*after assuring them that ham radio is NOT all
stuffy arrogant stuck up CB hating bastards, and that "my friends" on 450
are totally laid back, 'dig what you dig " and "do what you want" kind of
hams who would be glad to welcome them into our social events and willing
to help them get up and running by sharing knowledge, manpower, etc.,  what
will I tell them after they encounter you guys?????????????*

Like I said, it's a damn shame.

I'll give you this, you guys are doing a great job of proving my "extra
class novice" argument.

For the record, I am not the least bit embarrassed by what I do or do not
do in radio.  I know what my accomplishments are and am quite proud of not
only what I've learned through the years but also what I have taught.  Bash
away....I will continue in the path I have chosen with or without you
guys.  Always have, always will.