[450] testing

Bob n1ujs at toast.net
Sat Jan 1 11:43:43 EST 2011

For those who haven't worked him since the latest changes, Glenn, WB2JAY, has put up the log periodic (essentially a horizontal and pointable version of a discone for 6 meters and up to infinity) and the Comet CX-333 (tri-band, 2/222/440, vertical omni) and has been on to test.
Results here were very good in general (compared to what he had up anyway) and are as follows:

The log:

6m FM- full scale even at lowest power
6 meter AM/SSB just over S-9 at full power
222- I don't have horizontal to test with, but still audible on the stick
440- nobetter than the stick even when on my 19 element horizontal.  This MAY be because I am pointing through all my antennas to get to him on that antenna.
2 meters- great improvement over vertical.  Will be interesting to see how Woody or Larry can hear him now.

Triband omni-

222- even at lowest power, substantial signal
440- about S-8 to my stick with preamp on
2 meters- at least as good as before, likely better to most.

If you guys get a chance, hop on and give him a report across the bands.