[450] Speaking of freedom....

George Andrews gandrews at ntplx.net
Sun Jun 27 21:49:22 EDT 2010

Re: [450] Speaking of freedom....Had experience servicing a couple of lap tops, samething could have similar effect on desktop (much less likely). Lap tops take in considerable amounts of dust overtime. This inhibits effective heat transfer. This results in bizarre laptop performance bcause of overheating of the cpu. Disassembling the lap top and cleaning the heat sink and cpu of baked thermal paste with some good silver paste helps. I have not performed measurements, but I think the heat sink and possibly retention clips warp. The heat sink no longer makes effective contact. That means lapping the heat sink and perhaps the cpu (if you dare). I got such a laptop working by adding software that controls the fans and slows the cpu down. Better than tossing the laptop as long as you can handle 20 to 25% speed reduction. The heat build up also likely damages the board and other components. This is the result of poor design of the lap top. Also lap tops are not really designed to be a lap top. Some have fan ports that become completely blocked when placed on your lap.

George