[450] 222 ponderings, GEORGE take note!

Bob N1UJS at toast.net
Sat Jun 26 17:54:22 EDT 2010

Hi George and all,

Keep in mind, I was up and running on 220 at the old location, so I know what to expect regarding propogation.
My assessment of the band is that given the same path and comparable equipment, it will do pretty much the same thing in the same way, only with some degree of "enhancement" that seems ever present.
Based on this, I already know that my 10 elements on 10 feet should be sufficient to handle my "horizontal weak signal" tasks, as that arrangement (despite being half the antenna) performed similarly to my 2 meter horizontal set up with regard to range and signal reports, and the activity on that polarization will likely always be "net nights and contests" and occasional "Oh, I have 220, want to try it?" stuff.
Vertically speaking, If it were a busy band, I would simply plant a pair of 10 element yagis on the cross boom between the 6 meter vertical yagis and be done with it (again, duplicating my array of choice on 2 meter vertical), however I don't expect the activity would warrant the extra load and space requirements.

I guess I'm just trying to get a handle on what would be best for now to work the activity that exists and to be ready for some that MIGHT exist if we are able to promote some activity.  I've found one of the best ways to do that is to set an example as to how well the band CAN work, and then others will follow.....
Using this rationale, I am hoping to breathe a little life into things by entering the local scene with a formidable enough signal to work all that are presently there, as well as to prove to those that aren't making enough effort for it to work that a step or two "up" would certainly produce results.
I'm just not sure if the amp and a decent gain omni placed nicely on top of the stack here would be enough to do that.  Going to the beam would give me something to do if the local scene bombs, but it may be too much if I want to set an example of "obtainable performance".

As far as the choice of omni goes, it comes down to the Bozak and the CX-333.

Bozak good points: no caps to blow, proven 2x5/8 design in a two piece "screw together" (same as the Antron) set up that is light, durable, and totally fool proof.  Plug and play.  Relatively cheap as compared to the Comet (roughly $86.00).

Bozak "bad" points: "might" be lesser performer than the CX-333 due to the "Japanese magic" factor (I'll explain further down), is electrically shorter, and less versatile than the Comet.

Comet good points: 3x5/8 design is electrically speaking, the "longest" antenna being offered for 222 in a vertical omni presently. (it should be noted however that it is not the ONLY one)
"Japanese magic"....
for some reason, a "multibanded" Japanese antenna by Comet or Diamond always outperforms a traditional single banded antenna of the "same" design (2x5/8, 3x5/8, etc).   Best as I can figure, this is a "by product" of it's obligatory multiband components that must just by chance force the "current points" to be more advantageously placed than the "traditional" design.
Flexibility.....by using no more space than the Bozak, I could add a reasonable gain 2 meter vertical to the upstairs station, as well as free up the GP-9 (to be mounted over the garage some time in the future) for the downstairs station's exclusive use (I'd been fretting over how to keep sharing the GP-9 from being a problem).

Comet "bad" points: the complexity of the multibanded design requires the inherent "weak link", the disc capacitor.  While my max power at the shack end will be 150 watts, this has been enough to "pop" Japanese models rated at 200 watts before, and the Comet is only rated at 120.
The price...lowest I've found so far is roughly $160.00

Others....
Hustler makes a triple 5/8 single band antenna with great power handling and sturdy design, however it's not cheap and it is not light enough for my mounting locations.
Jetstream's "knock off" design gets bad reviews (specifically as compared to the CX-333 I might add), and my experience (as well as many other we all know) is that the low price knock offs are plagued with quality control issues.

Now, (George) to the unanswered questions:

How many of your group are on or capable of being on?

Where are they located, and what are they using?