[450] opinions...

George Andrews gandrews at ntplx.net
Mon Dec 27 15:44:35 EST 2010

Take a look at prices at these two vendors (starting with lower price): What is good depends on what he wants to do. If Nick is interested in gaming, you are in the $1200 and up category (AlienWare type stuff)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/guidedSearch.asp?CatId=17&sel=Price;Price5

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006740%204018&IsNodeId=1&name=%24200%20-%20%24300

Then there is the computer show. Good prices on desktops also.Get there early for best deals. Stuff goes quick, especially good stuff.
http://coganfairs.com/newsite/

If "power" is not an issue and e-mail and browsing the web are the primary interest, a net book is an interesting small and light weight device. Also runs a long time on a single charge. I have seen decent ones at computer shows $200 and less used. The risk here is really getting into high power application and the net book not cutting it. If you went this route, and Nick was unhappy with it, it would make a great shack PC. An external DVD ROM drive would be required as net books do not have one.
For more info on netbooks, see: http://www.netbooks.com/

I stay with Intel processors as I have always used them and always overclock (hotrod) what I build.