[450] Astron VS 50 Supply

Rich tea4one at verizon.net
Fri Nov 10 18:57:39 UTC 2023

So contrary to popular opinion, I am not completely incompetant. I opened up the 50A supply from Bill and found a couple of issues. It was actually sizzling and you could smell burning...not good.   I cleaned out a couple of loose parts and old electrical tape. Blew out dust and cat hair. If you look at the pictures you can see the corroded and burned tooth washer which was under the Negative connection on the small PC board above the large capacitor below. This was where the sizzling was coming from. You can also see the large toggle switch that someone installed on the back when the original On/Off switch apparently crapped out. This was also loose so I tightended it up. After cleaning the lugs and the board and replacing the damaged washer, re-routing the negative wire from the transformer which was kinked at a really bad angle and causing a strain,and of course tightening everything down real tight, all seems to be good. I will continue testing the supply in my workshop but so far so good. No more sizzling, LOL.

https://i.imgur.com/Gm9s5tl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/j7WfaBN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/bIh9nN0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/peEIySO.jpg