[450] fw: Re: [222Activity] New 220 mHz Rig

Robert Busino n1ujs at toast.net
Sat Mar 11 23:11:19 UTC 2023

 From: "Marshall-K5QE" <k5qe at k5qe.com>
Sent: Friday, March 10, 2023 5:46 PM
To: 222Activity at groups.io
Subject: Re: [222Activity] New 220 mHz Rig
Hello to everyone in the 222Activity group.  Consider giving yourself an
advance Christmas present.....

For your Christmas shopping pleasure, we have
http://q5signal.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=62   There are
transverters for 25W, 50W, and 100W.  I have the 25W version as that is
plenty of drive for my SSPA to get to almost full power.  If you purchase
one of the higher power units, you will just have to "kill off" the extra
power with an attenuator to drive your SSPA amp.  If you have a big tube
amp, you might need the high power.

I have a friend(Russ-K5RUS k5rus at bayou.com) that has available a small
number of Harris TV trays.  These will put out 800W on 222 going away.  I
sent one of these to HI so that we could get that state activated on EME.
It worked perfectly.  Peter-KA6U uses one of these for his EME rover on
222.

Russ also has a small number of the Harris TV trays that he has re-tuned to
2M.  So if you are interested in 2M, there is a source.

You will need a good 50V power supply like the HP blade server supplies
available on eBay.    Part numbers are 253232-001 and 226579-001.  I just
searched eBay..there were four of the first part number, one for $55 and
one for $75, and two ridiculous prices.  You can also build up a very nice
50V supply by series connecting 4 12V(nominal) switching power supplies.
You must get units that are completely isolated and will put out 50+A.  You
can set each one at +12.5V and you will have 50V.  I did this once as a
project.  I bought 5 each +12V at 50A switching supplies.  Four were connected
in series to give 50VDC and the fifth was used to provide +12V to radios,
transverters, and whatever that needs +12V.  These supplies have a small
adjustment pot that will allow you to vary the output voltage from about
+12V to about +14V, so you can cover a lot of situations.

There are NO relays in these TV trays(they were built for TV transmitting),
so you will have to provide your own T/R relays and if you plan on a
preamp, you will have to sequence them properly.

I just talked to Russ on the phone.  He is currently swamped with a school
activity that he does with his son, but in about 4 weeks, he says he will
be free to put some time into these amps.  Price quoted is $350 each plus
shipping.  That is a STEAL!!  I have never seen a QRO VHF amp that was less
than about $2500-3000.  Maybe there is something out there, but it won't be
$350.  So if you are interested, send him an exploratory email now, but
don't expect him to deliver anything for about a month.

NO, I don't have any financial interested in these amps, I just want to get
more 222 ops on the air with some power.  Actually, I have a selfish
interest here....I want more guys on with power that can work me in the
ARRL EME contest on 222.  Even if you don't have elevation, you can work us
on your rising or setting moon.  Most folks don't realize that this can be
done, but it is straightforward and it will get you a new state or two on
222.

Best of luck to everyone....

73 Marshall K5QE