[450] 220

Rich Florio fogmoose at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 07:53:48 UTC 2023

  So I finally got the 220 1/4 wave finished and outside on the roof.
Believe it or not, I started making this antenna nearly 20 years ago. It
has been sitting in my workshop all that time, so I figured I'd better
finish the damn thing. The vertical element is 16 gauge copper wire and the
4 ground planes are 10 gauge aluminum wire. Amazingly it didn't even need
trimming...loaded up nearly perfect. Zip tied it to a scrap piece of cedar
about 5 and a half feet long, which I then heavy-duty zip tied to the 4"
PVC Vent on the SW corner of my roof. It's up about 6 feet off the
roof. Had a piece of R & L Electronics 9913 equivalent that was ~35 feet
and already had PL-259's on both ends. That was literally just long enough
to get to the radio inside the workshop. Haven't had a chance to do too
much testing yet, but I could just barely hear N1UJS on his vertical with
his 150 W. He could not hear me running at only 25W :-(

Will do some more testing over the next few days, but it's 10X better then
the discone in the attic, LOL

Here are a few pics.... talk to you on 220!

There is a fine line between Genius and Insanity.