[450] Weather console

David McKenzie k1fsy at vhfwiki.com
Sat Mar 4 00:55:52 UTC 2023

I replaced the ISS (integrated sensor suite) on my Davis Vantage Vue
weather station when I moved to Burlington and it had been trouble free
until a week or two ago when I was able to knock it out for a day on a
couple of occasions most likely due to RFI. Some may recall the saga when I
first obtained the weather staton and had to use nickel conductive paint to
shield parts of it to avoid this problem. Anywho, I picked up an Ecowitt
station off of amazon to supplement and potentially replace the davis
station, but it has wifi reception only and I wanted a console. Enter a
4.2" e-paper display connected to an esp32 that refreshes every sixty
seconds or so with new weather data and doesn't require any power between
updates. I haven't run it on battery but it would be feasible to do so with
minute or 5 minute updates for a decent amount of time.

Here's a picture of the prototype from earlier today when it was sunny. It
could use some better icons (can do fonts from ram) and a chart or two in
the dead space. The screen is only capable of a full refresh so it has to
do a white/black/white cycle to clear itself which is somewhat apparent but
really not too bad.

[image: image.png]