[450] IC-207H repair

John Foege john.foege at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 23:14:49 UTC 2015

Vermutlich durch unterschiedliche Ausdehnungskoeffizienten zwischen Keramik
und Kühlkörper treten im Keramiksubstrat feine Risse auf, die mit dem Auge
nur mühsam zu erkennen sind. Irgendwann führt das dann auch zu
Unterbrechungen in den aufgedruckten Leiterbahnen, bei mir gleich an sechs
verschiedenen Stellen.

This is, indeed, exactly what I had guessed the problem to be when talking
it over with Bill while you were off the air earlier. I told Bill, that in
my opinion, most likely it was the repeated thermal cycling of heating and
cooling that lead to cracks in traces on the power module. Looks like I was
right !! Really a very common mode of failure. If you were a long-keyer,
which you are not, I would have said de-soldered itself. But knowing that
you don't key long, I figured cracked traces from thermal cycling.