[450] I'd just like to note...

George Andrews gandrews at ntplx.net
Wed Nov 5 15:05:11 EST 2014

William,

Things are the way they are because “we” make it so. Look at voter turnout. Many people have just given up. The following quote is not directed at you personally but offers an explanation as to why politics sucks.

“Let us therefore admit that all things to which he is trained and accustomed seem natural to man and that is truly native to him which he receives with his primitive, untrained individuality. Thus custom becomes the first reason for voluntary servitude. Men are like handsome race horses who first bite the bit then later like it, and rearing under the saddle a while soon learn to enjoy displaying their harness and prance proudly beneath their trappings. Similarly men will grow accustomed to the idea that they have always been in subjection, that their fathers lived the same way; they will think they are obliged to suffer this evil, and will persuade themselves by example and imitation of others, finally investing those who order them around with proprietary rights, based on the idea that it has always been that way.

There are always a few, better endowed than others, who feel the weight of the yoke and cannot restrain themselves from attempting to shake it off: these are the men who never become tamed under subjection and who always, like Ulysses  on land and sea constantly seeking the smoke of his chimney, cannot prevent themselves from peering about for their natural privileges and from remembering their ancestors and their former ways.

These are in fact the men who , possessed of clear minds and far sighted spirit, are not satisfied, like the brutish mass, to see only what is at their feet, but rather look about them, behind and before, and even recall things of the past in order to judge those of the future and compare both with their present condition. These are the ones who, having good minds of their own, have further trained them by study and learning. Even if liberty had entirely perished from earth, such men would invent it. For them, slavery has no satisfactions, no matter how well disguised.” Etienne De La Boite-16th century

I fully expect few will read this to get this far. Some will be offended. This analysis of the human condition has proven correct by history so many times. From King Leonidas and the 300 Spartans, to our own revolution and our progress in civil rights/ slavery are a very, very short list. We are where we are because we permit it to be so. We permit business/big money to run our government, because we have accepted the yoke of servitude. We can throw off the yoke. We may not see the impact in our lifetime, but we must light the torch of Liberty and pass it on to the next generation.

George