[450] Problem solved! Balun issue!

George Andrews gandrews at ntplx.net
Tue Feb 4 13:38:31 EST 2014

Bob,

The portable end fed will stay the same for size and weight
reasons. The balun that failed is that which came with the
Cobra Ultralight antenna. I could build my own, but am not
the best at putting things in nicely constructed packages.
As such, I am going with a commercial product. It is a Balun
Designs 4:1 voltage balun. It is rated at 3 kW, but is a
toroid design. I am told this design was tested at 2kW
without problems. It was the balun John Bee sells and was an
alternative from the Cobra Ultralight manufacturer. This is
it:
http://www.balundesigns.com/servlet/the-56/current-balun-4-c
ln-1-designs/Detail. May add a current balun as well, but
one thing at a time.

I also plan to do the permanent end fed again. But instead
of the Unadilla I will use this:
http://www.balundesigns.com/servlet/the-106/9-cln-1-9-dsh-1-
unun/Detail

I expect the balun to come in as early as today possibly
tomorrow. As soon as I get it, I will be OTA with the amp.

Once we have thaw, I plan to get the CobraUL up higher, at
least 50 feet. I suspect that will improve the SWR on 40/20
M. I have not measured the height of antenna friendly trees,
but would like to have it at 85 feet.

I understand CT is going to get snowed on heavily. Stay warm
and safe!

George