[450] John is in the kitchen...

George Andrews gandrews at ntplx.net
Sun Feb 2 08:48:49 EST 2014

Bob and the group. I did not have time to set up antennae
here before winter set in. My one HF antenna came down due
to wind and ice. It is now frozen in the snow/ice on the
garage roof. I was able to put up my backpacking/camping
antenna, but that has a limit of 25 W. Of course voice is
always my method of choice. However it is better to be
radioactive rather than not.

I am not able to drive for a few days because of cataract
surgery, so it is a perfect time to explore the many
operating modes available. I know that there are a number of
folk who don't like digital modes. There are some modes I
have no interest in such as fax by radio (SSTV) and packet
Been there done that. For those interested in how their
signal does on various bands, digital modes offer something
that voice does not. It is slightly less subjective than
voice signal reports. Signal reports are generated by the
software. This has flaws, but is of interest to me. Others
may dismiss this factor. I got set up to use WISPER (a prop
net). http://wsprnet.org/drupal/

I plan on doing some 136 kHz and 474.2 kHz stuff. As there
are not a lot of people I know who operate those bands, WSPR
will be important in evaluating my stuff. I also plan to use
it on 2M once my 2 M station is setup as it provides
information in a relatively short time frame, minimizing as
much as possible changes in signal path due to propagation.
Can't do that in the same manner with voice, although your
repeater map is equivalent for FM.

Anyway, I will be WSPR'ing on 7.0386  and 28.1246 MHz with
14.0956 MHz a possibility. You don't have to tune to those
frequencies (maybe you don't want to load the software to
decode), just go to the website to see my call sign
(assuming I am heard by others)

We have a warm spell today. Maybe I can get my antenna
unstuck. Have to be careful of the eye though.

73

George