[450] Fwd: Nutmeg etc

Bob n1ujs at toast.net
Sat Sep 28 10:53:00 EDT 2013

Received this from Rick, N2YYJ.
He has a source for these removed from service pneumatic masts, as well as
fiberglass crank ups and other things out in PA.
This is what he just put up.
If anyone is going to Nutmeg, I'm sure he'll be glad to fill you in on the
details of what this guy has and what the guy asks for the stuff.

 Hi Bob,
Hope all is well.

I am rounding up support for a trip to Nutmeg Hamfest. Pete says he wants
to go, maybe, to meet up with everyone. I am committed to going myself.
I got my mast and put down a concrete base with threaded rods to bolt it
into (pics attached) Extended up to make sure its good and needed to sponge
it down with mineral oil so it would slide. Will-Burt recommends mineral
oil so it was Baby Oil & a sponge.

Next is lifting the array on top with 15-18 feet more of solid mast poles
and the rotors (G-5500). If I get 15' it sits at 55-57 feet up when
extended. I ditched the Alliance rotor as I was afraid the antenna would
bend on a thin part of the boom. I still will have direction and polarity
changeability with the 5500. I just cannot work satellites, but no biggie.
Almost there. A trip to Lowe's today for some supplies may finish it.

Rick   N2YYJ