[450] $5 dollars to anyone who can figure out what this is...

John Foege john.foege at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 22:29:54 EST 2013

It's a NBD (non-directional beacon) that operates on 362 kHz and is called
CLERA. It serves as the OM (outer marker) for pilot's flying instrument
approaches to runway 36 at Waterbury-Oxford airport.

You fly over CLERA at 2500 ft. above sea level and turn to a heading of 005
degrees. From the NDB it's a 6 nautical mile approach to the runway at a 3
degree glideslope.

Generally pilots intercept the instrument landing system at that fix over
CLERA on 109.55 MHz, which gives them precise left/right and glideslope
info and they just keep the cross needles centered as they fly the approach
all the way in.

A little flying/radio trivia for everyone!

I thought you all might be interested in a large swath of fenced off grass
in the middle of nowhere with a turnstile antenna and a shack....

Cheers!

73s
John
W1QEX