[450] K1FSY Mast Strength Analysis

John Foege john.foege at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 04:51:54 EST 2013

After eyeballing your pic "towering above" from earlier - I guesstimated
that you've got 16' of 1-1/4 trade size EMT above the thrust bearing, so
making all the same assumptions from the earlier analysis, here are your
magic numbers:

Exceed yield strength, resulting in irreversible bending @ 53 mph (bending
stress: 35,767 psi)
Exceed absolute tensile strength, resulting in snapping @ 67 mph (bending
stress: 57,161 psi)

Moral of the story? If we are going to get over 50 mph gusts, point your
antenna into the wind - and you should be fine. It will be a real show to
watch from the outside though :-)