[450] K1FSY Mast Strength Analysis

John Foege john.foege at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 13:27:56 EST 2013

I measured the pixel length of the mast and the pixel length of the section
of mast past the thrust bearing from the pic you posted to the list the
other night. It's 16.3 ft. of masting past the thrust bearing. Antenna is
around 16' up from thrust bearing.

UPDATED RESULT:

Assuming everything from the original *.txt file but changing the masting
to 1-1/2" trade size standard EMT conduit (1.74" OD / 0.065" wall
thickness) the numbers are as follows:

16.3' ft of mast protruding from top of tower / thrust bearing and M2
2M9SSB mounted at 16' ft:

Exceed yield strength, resulting in irreversible bending @ 60 mph (bending
stress: 36,290 psi)
Exceed absolute tensile strength, resulting in snapping @ 76 mph (bending
stress: 58,225 psi)

So, essentially you would need a Category 1 hurricane or a F0 tornado to
hit your house to snap your mast.

Methinks you shall be fine ;-)