[450] SDR Dongle Projects

George Andrews gandrews at ntplx.net
Wed Mar 27 20:03:14 EDT 2013

I know there are a few folks out there who were playing with the USB SDR
receivers. I finally got mine and have it working both on the desktop and
lap top. My dongle has the RTL2832 and the Raphael Micro R820T tuner. I am
using SDRSharp and Zadig for software. I had a little difficulty with the
desktop as I had to clear out multiple installs. Once that was done,
everything worked great, The tuning range is The mid 60 MHz range to 1700 or
so MHz. I installed the scanner plug in and now have an all mode scanner!

I plan to connect it to an outside antenna to better evaluate the
sensitivity. Eventually, I will probably connect to a discone I have in the
attic. I also will run the RTL_TEST to determine the actual frequency range.
If the VHF and up performance is decent, I will probably buy or build an HF
converter.

Anyone else have interesting results? I might pick up another with the
Elonics E400 tuner to see if there is any performance difference.

George

"There ain't no cloud so thick that the sun ain't shinin' on t'other side."
- Rattlesnake, an 1870s mountain man