[450] Disaster Communications Lab

WRIP-FM Studio wrip at mhcable.com
Sat Sep 24 21:58:30 EDT 2011

Julia:

I would welcome productive discussion on the subject - and as some others
have expressed, prefer for face-to-face meetings.

Given the massive breakdown of the communications infrastructure at critical
points during the Irene disaster, I am reminded how good old fashioned "RF"
(Radio Frequency)  is often the only reliable way of disseminating important
information to a wide area.

I am speaking not only of conventional radio, but also of two-way radio.

As a licensed radio amateur (N1UJT), I am more than familiar with my
fraternity's ability to mobilize in a disaster and enable effective
communications between agencies and people on the ground.

" Recent examples include the September 11 attacks on the World Trade Center
in Manhattan in 2001, the 2003 North America blackout and Hurricane Katrina
in September 2005, where amateur radio was used to coordinate disaster
relief activities when other systems failed."

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_radio_emergency_communications)

There are  several Amateur Radio Clubs and other organized, trained radio
operators in the region who would prove useful to this discussion.  I would
be happy to reach out if someone has not already thought of bringing them
in.

Jay

Jay Fink
Vice President & General Manager