[450] Fwd: HR 607 Threatens Amateur Frequencies

djmay at comcast.net djmay at comcast.net
Wed Feb 23 11:21:41 EST 2011

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "ARRL Members Only Web site" <memberlist at www.arrl.org>
To: djmay at comcast.net
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 8:38:36 AM
Subject: HR 607 Threatens Amateur Frequencies

HR 607 Threatens Amateur Spectrum

We have a serious problem folks and your help is needed immediately.
te
Peter King (R-NY) has introduced "Broadband for First Responders Act of
2011" which has been assigned the number HR 607.  The bill discusses the
creation and maintenance of a nationwide public safety broadband
network.  The problem is that this bill, among its provisions, includes
420-440 MHz, most of the 70 CM    Amateur band, as part of a spectrum
swap.    In particular, the bill lists the paired bands of 420-440 MHz
and 450-470 MHz among the bands to be reallocated for commercial
auction within 10 years of its passage.  You can read all about the
background of this bill at
http://www.arrl.org/news/spectrum-management-bill-threatens-amateur-frequencies.

The bill is gathering support so you need to write as soon as possible.
 If we don’t act now, we could lose these frequencies!  The threat is
real.

So this is what you need to do.
Please contact your local representative asking them to oppose HR 607
in its present form.  Here are some key points to remember when
writing:
We all support the need for public safety and first responders to have
an interoperable network and we support their need for frequencies in
the “D-block” (700MHz range) but we oppose the inclusion of
frequencies allocated to our service which we already share on a
secondary basis with the governmental radiolocation services.  As you
know, the 70-cm band is a critical resource for Amateur radio public
service and emergency communications.

To help you in this effort, please go to
http://www.arrl.org/sample-letters where you will find         A sample
letter opposing HR 607 in its present form, a link to the ARRL Webpage
that gives you the contact information for your Members of Congress,
and A link to information sending your letters to our Washington
lobbyist to hand-deliver to Capitol Hill.

We are advised not to use direct mail to Congress because of their
security measures.  It is best to send your letters to the ARRL
lobbyist who will hand deliver them.

For your handy reference, here is this information for the lobbyist:
Send letters addressed to your representative to:
                                 John Chwat
                                 Chwat & Co.
                                 625 Slaters Lane
                                 Suite 103
                                 Alexandria, VA 22314

By Fax - Send to: 703-684-7594

You may also send a signed letter via email to:  arrl at chwatco.com.

ARRL Web reports  “You can keep updated about this issue by checking
the ARRL Web page and subscribing to the newly-created  ARRL
Legislative Update Newsletter which will get you available information
automatically.  Sign up by logging onto the ARRL website and select the
‘Edit Your Profile’ link located at the top of each page. Once on
that page, select the ‘Edit Email Subscriptions” tab and click on
the box for ARRL Legislative Update.” The ARRL Legislative Update is
prepared on an “as needed” basis to those who have opted-in to
receive it.”

I know you will each give this your prompt attention.

Thank you.

ARRL Connecticut Section
Section Manager: Betsey M Doane, K1EIC
k1eic at arrl.org