[450] the wound! (i mean wind)

George Andrews gandrews at ntplx.net
Wed Nov 24 21:44:22 EST 2010

Bob,

I get it,but this is what I was talking about:

Range resolution
Let us determine the range resolution which can be obtained with such a signal. The return signal, written , is an attenuated and time-shifted copy of the original transmitted signal (in reality, Doppler effect can play a role too, but this is not important here.) There is also noise in the incoming signal, both on the imaginary and the real channel, which we will assume to be white and Gaussian (this generally holds in reality); we write  to denote that noise. To detect the incoming signal, matched filtering is commonly used. This method is optimal when a known signal is to be detected among an additive white Gaussian noise.

In other words, the cross-correlation of the received signal with the transmitted signal is computed. This is achieved by convolving the incoming signal with a conjugated and time-reversed version of the transmitted signal. This operation can be done either in software or with hardware. We write  for this cross-correlation. We have:

If the reflected signal comes back to the receiver at time  and is attenuated by factor , this yields:

Since we know the transmitted signal, we obtain:

where , the result of the intercorrelation between the noise and the transmitted signal, remains a white noise of same characteristics as  since it is not correlated to the transmitted signal. Function ? is the triangle function, its value is 0 on , it augments linearly on  where it reaches its maximum 1, and it decreases linearly on  until it reaches 0 again. Figures at the end of this paragraph show the shape of the intercorrelation for a sample signal (in red), in this case a real truncated sine, of duration  seconds, of unit amplitude, and frequency  hertz. Two echoes (in blue) come back with a delay of 3 and 5 seconds, respectively, and have an amplitude equal to 0.5 and 0.3; those are just random values for the sake of the example. Since the signal is real, the intercorrelation is weighted by an additional 1?2 factor.

This is why you get more for less. On VHF and up this works fine. On HF you can expect over 1000 miles per watt, particularly on 40 and 20 M. There is tremendous gain above 30 GHz also but one must allow for pathway attenuation in microwave frequencies. But that kind of RF is not for the wimpy folk. Don't strain the brain, just try it and see for yourself!

George

N1YAE