[450] up and coming antenna project

George Andrews gandrews at ntplx.net
Mon Nov 22 19:20:13 EST 2010

Charlie,

I am not a mechanical engineer. I don't know how much mast you will have
above the first bracket or what the toatal wind load will be, but most of
the wind load will be beating on the first bracket and the chimney. Chimney
structures are not intended to have flex. You can calculate the load on the
first bracket by using the weight of antennae and the length of mast above
the first bracket and consider the mast a lever arm. You will probably end
up with a number and the units are probably foot pounds. But once you get
that number, I don't know how to determine impact on your mount. That's
where the engineering part comes in. You can probably think of it as a
torque. To make it mean something, compare it to engine torque. That will
give you some idea of what the foot pound mean. If you need the equation,
look it up or I will get it for you. Let me know if you need the equation.
It's been forty years or so since I have done that kind of calculation.

In any case, GL. Anything more than a tv antenna and a short mask is an
undefined risk.

George
N1YAE