[450] An alpha radio topic!

George Andrews gandrews at ntplx.net
Thu Mar 25 19:59:41 EDT 2010

No, it's not a hairy radio story!

I am developing my 1.25 cm station. I now have a 50 W radio, AEA Isopole, four element Cushcraft beam and a 5/8 wave antenna for the truck.

I will be replacing the coax to the Isopole (RG58 to LMR240 equiv.), raising the Isopole so it clears the roof line and putting up the beam (vertical) and a rotor. Probably in that order, although I have not determined where the beam will go. Four elements is a good compromise between gain, beam width and being able to hear off to the sides. I have checked the beam width by listening to repeater signals and it is as narrow as I want to go for now. It is up, but too close to the house to get any more than ~75 degrees of Cro Magnon rotation.

Future plans include a halo for the truck, but that is down the road. I need to come up with a plan to stack it over the 2 M halo. Thoughts for the future include a bigger beam and a 400W or so amp, there has to be some DX for that to happen!

So, if anyone has 1.25 M, I can be found on 223.500 MHz mobile from about 8 to 8:30 am and 5 to 6:00 pm during the week. I monitor once home from 5:30 to about 9 pm. For other times, send an e-mail for a sched..

George
N1YAE