[450] 222 ponderings, GEORGE take note!

Bob N1UJS at toast.net
Sat Jun 26 12:52:54 EDT 2010

I'm trying to decide how much space to allocate to 220 vertical, and what level of gain to bother with....

Simplest option is a Bozak 2x5/8.....SOME gain, sturdy, no caps to blow out, permanently flat swr, and wouldn't take up any space allocated for something else (on top of the 2 meter stack).

Next step up would be a CX-333.....could go in the same spot, take up the same space, offer slightly more gain, also could be tied through a triplexer to the upstairs station for 2 meter vertical option and the downstairs station for 440 vertical.  Rather expensive, but gets good reviews.

Next step would be a vertical yagi of the smaller "end mount" variety....more gain, but takes up more mast space.
If I do this however, I may as well go with a longer yagi and get more gain as it wouldn't take up any more mast space....perhaps I could mount it slightly off center on the crossboom for the 2x3 6 meter setup.  I already have the 10 element homebrew, so this would be a fairly quick fix with minimal outlay.

I guess what it comes down to is just how much activity is really happening right now?
 How many people are in George's group and at what distance and how widely scattered are they?
If it is a small group and fairly close by, a small stick would suffice.  On the other hand, if activity is limited, a long yagi could give me something to do...mapping out the distant repeaters and such......and maybe even being able to check into the "Pakrats" FM net......

Will anyone else from our group be joining the game?

Any thoughts?

Anything already discarded and available in the "stick" variety among your group George?