[450] Southington Hamfest...AND JAY!!!!

George Andrews gandrews at ntplx.net
Wed Feb 24 07:12:36 EST 2010

Don't really see it as stereotyping. It's written and composed by an Irishman about an Irishman. Don't know the composer. It is much like a lot of folk music. I am part Irish, Scot and German and find it a fun song. The occupation of Mr Finnigan was that of a manual laborer and a very difficult job at that. The "hod" refered to is a brick carrier. This job required carrying the bricks to where the brick layers were working. Up to a dozen bricks were carried at a time. Carrying such a load up a ladder while under the influence could be quite risky. There are many songs written that reflect on the need to nip a bit to get the mindset to go to a boring, demanding, back breaking job.It is probably intended to be a humorous "testament" to the restorative properties of a good Irish whiskey, probably a single malt!

Anyway, what useful purpose do clams serve other than to be eaten in a variety of rather tasty ways?

See ya at the fest and Sam's

George