[450] Southington Hamfest...AND JAY!!!!

George Andrews gandrews at ntplx.net
Tue Feb 23 22:09:52 EST 2010

A little late night readin' for y'all. Seein as how we all use ladders in our hobby. This song from the middle of the 19th century was actually the spark for James Joyce's "Finnigans Wake". Despite the archaic language, it's a good read.

Tim Finnegan lived on Walken street
A gentleman Irishman, mighty odd
Well he had a brogue both rich and sweet
And to rise in the world he carried a hod
Well he had a bit of a tippler's way
With a love for the liquor poor Tim was born
And the send him on his way each day, had a drop of the craythur every morn'

Oh, whack fol' the dah now dance to your partner
Round the flure your trotter's shake
Isn't it the truth I told 'ya
Lot's o' fun at Finnegan's wake

One morning Tim got rather full
His head felt heavy which made him shake
Well he fell off the ladder and broke his skull
And they carried him home, his corpse to wake
Well they wrapped him up in a nice, clean sheet
And they laid him out upon the bed
With a gallon of whiskey at his feet and a bucket of porter at his head

Oh, whack fol' the dah now dance to your partner
Round the flure your trotter's shake
Isn't it the truth I told 'ya
Lot's o' fun at Finnegan's wake

Well his friends assembled at the wake
And Mrs. Finnegan called for lunch
First she brought out tea and cake
Then pipes, tobacco, and brandy punch
Then the Widow Malone began to cry
"Such a nice, clean corpse have you ever seen?"
"Tim, auvreen! Why did you die?"
"Would you hold yer' gob?" said Patty McGee

Oh, whack fol' the dah now dance to your partner
Round the flure your trotter's shake
Isn't it the truth I told 'ya
Lot's o' fun at Finnegan's wake

Then Maggie O'Connor took up the job
"Oh Biddy," says she, "You're wrong, for sure."
Biddy dealt her a belt in the gob
And left her sprawling on the floor
Then the war did soon engage
Woman to woman and man to man
Shillelagh law was all the rage
And a row and a ruction soon began

Oh, whack fol' the dah now dance to your partner
Round the flure your trotter's shake
Isn't it the truth I told 'ya
Lot's o' fun at Finnegan's wake

Mickey Maloney ducked his head
When a bucket of whiskey flew at him
It missed, and falling on the bed
The liquor scattered over Tim
Bedad he revives, see how he rises
Tim Finnegan risin' in the bed
Cryin' "Will ye' walup each girl and boy,"
"T'underin' Jaysus, do ye' think I'm dead?"