[450] Lightning strike

Thomas Moore piper925 at att.net
Sat Aug 22 08:12:57 EDT 2009

  That really stinks John. I've had my share of hits here....thank God for
homeowners' insurance.  I have a length of ladderline here that has ALL the
copper vaporized out of it and the 102' of  #12 hard-drawn Cu from my g5rv
vaporized as well.  The pl259 of that g5rv was in an old heavy milk bottle
with a ground (pre-field)wire in bottle as well.
The bottom of the glass bottle melted and re-formed (it was also wrapped
with insulating tape, then with pvc tape and sitting in a ceramic flowerpot
dish).
  A broadcast engineer once likened a lightning hit to a bathtub full of
water and the ground as the drain.  Ya gotta get rid of the water faster
before damages occur. Bigger and lower impedance is the way to go. A ground
field. I made mine from a 8' piece of 2" copper pipe with buried radials and
additional pieces of Cu material. Add a lot of peat to the surrounding soil
so the soil always stays moist. Raise the micromos of the soil to enhance
conductivity ....mine is chemically enhanced with Magnesium Sulfate from
time to time. I had also tossed a few handfull of pennies (hey, they're only
a cent apiece) when the soil was open. The Cu coating will degrade giving
off blue vitriol which will enhance the field.
  He also stated that they incorporate Cu spikes and metal brush-like gizmos
on the towers. They gather the static from the area and send to ground.
Theory is, it may stop the small static "leader" (which then opens the can
of woims for the major strike) from happening.  Better to avoid the thing
than to try and drain that bathtub full of h2o, eh.
  I've incorporated somethings like that here and haven't been hit in 11
years.  Maybe luck, maybe the thing works.
Pipe